Beginning this September, Christ Episcopal Church will take part in a city-wide, multi-denominational, year-long, collaborative study of God's word.
We will be participating this year in Believe, a church-wide Christian formation experience created by Randy Frazee, Senior Minister at Oak Hills Church San Antonio. Frazee is also the architect of The Story, a journey through the major stories of the Bible. He created Believe in order to help churches live out the The Story in the lives of their members. Frazee leads Oak Hills Church in partnership with pastor and author Max Lucado. Christ Church is honored to be one of the twelve San Antonio churches invited to be part of the initial launch of Believe.
Christ Church will vary just slightly from the city-wide script in order to follow the church seasons and lectionary in common use in the Episcopal church. Below is an outline of the first part of our journey. CLICK HERE to access the Weekly Bible Study.
Believe the Story
I. Key Beliefs: WHAT DO I BELIEVE?
1. God September 13, 2015 – Proper 19
Theme for the Week: I believe the God of the Bible is the only true God—Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
2. Personal God September 20, 2015—Proper 20
Theme for the Week: I believe God is involved in and cares about my daily life.
3. Salvation September 27, 2015—Proper 21
Theme for the Week: I believe a person comes into a right relationship with God by God's grace through faith in Jesus Christ.
4. The Bible October 4, 2015—Proper 22
Theme for the Week: I believe the Bible is the Word of God and has the right to command my belief and action.
5. Identity in Christ October 11, 2015 – Proper 23
Theme for the Week: I believe I am significant because of my position as a child of God.
6. The Church October 18, 2015 – Proper 24
Theme for the Week: I believe the church is God’s primary way to accomplish his purposes on earth.
7. Humanity October 25, 2015 – Proper 25 CONSECRATION SUNDAY
Theme for the Week: I believe all people are loved by God and need Jesus Christ as their Savior.
[Break for All Saints’ Day]
8. Compassion November 8, 2015 Proper 27
I believe God calls all Christians to show compassion to people in need.
9. Stewardship November 15, 2015 Proper 28
I believe everything I am and everything I own belongs to God.
10. Eternity November 22, 2015 CHRIST THE KING SUNDAY- FALL CONFIRMATION
I believe there is a heaven and a hell and that Jesus will return to judge all people and to establish his eternal kingdom.
[Break for Advent-Christmas-Epiphany]
II. Key Practices: WHAT SHALL I DO?
11. Worship January 17, 2016 – Epiphany 2
I worship God for who he is and what he has done for me
12. Prayer January 24, 2016 – Epiphany 3
I pray to God to know him, to find direction for my life and to lay my requests before him.
13. Bible Study January 31, 2016 – Epiphany 4
I study the Bible to know God and his truth and to find direction for my daily life.
14. Single-Mindedness February 7, 2016 – Last Epiphany
I focus on God and his priorities for my life.
15. Total Surrender February 14, 2016 – Lent 1
I dedicate my life to God’s purposes.
16. Biblical Community February 21, 2016 – Lent 2
I keep fellowship with Christians to accomplish God's purposes in my life, in the life of others, and in the world.
17. Spiritual Gifts February 28, 2016 – Lent 3
I know my spiritual gifts and use them to fulfill God’s purposes.
18. Offering My Time March 6, 2016 – Lent 4
I invest my time in fulfilling God’s purposes.
19. Giving My Resources March 13, 2016 – Lent 5
I give my resources to fulfill God’s purposes.
[Break for Palm Sunday and Easter Day]
20. Sharing My Faith April 3, 2016 – Easter 2
I share my faith with others to fulfill God’s purposes.
Matthew 9:35-38 35
III. Key Virtues: WHAT AM I BECOMING?
21. Love April 10, 2016 – Easter 3
I am committed to loving God and loving others.
22. Joy April 17, 2016 – Easter 4
Despite my circumstances, I feel inner contentment and understand my purpose in life.
23. Peace April 24, 2016 – Easter 5
I am free from anxiety because I have found peace with God, peace with others and peace with myself.
24. Self-Control May 1, 2016—Easter 6
I have the power through Christ to control myself.
[Break for Ascension Sunday, Pentecost and Trinity]
25. Hope May 29, 2016 – Proper 4
I can cope with the hardships of life because of the hope I have in Jesus Christ.
26. Patience June 5, 2016 – Proper 5
I am slow to anger and endure patiently under the unavoidable pressures of life.
27. Kindness & Goodness June 12, 2016 – Proper 6
I choose to be kind and good in my relationships with others.
28. Faithfulness June 19, 2016 – Proper 7
I have established a good name with God and others based on my loyalty to those relationships.
29. Gentleness June 26 – Proper 8
I am thoughtful and considerate and calm in my dealings with others.
30. Humility July 3, 2016 – Proper 9
I choose to esteem others above myself.